New class of ship? The Baseship

Discuss here anything relevant to the game.
Curious_1

New class of ship? The Baseship

Post by Curious_1 »

I would like to suggest the idea of a new class of ship, *or at least a modification of an existing ship.
Currently there is only the ability to launch an attack from one of your own bases, I would like to suggest the ability to launch attacks from other planets (alliance members for example) but this raises a problem due to the fact that ships require deut to operate.

A new class of ship could solve this problem by acting as a "baseship" for fleets to deploy from. It could store deut for fuel, and possibly even be refueled by cargos or ACS Depos.
With a new (refuelable?) and mobile point from which to launch attacks (maybe even from empty planet slots? ;) ) entirely new playstyles, fleet tactics, and alliance cooperation would be possible. It would also make truly nomadic fleets possible as long as you could refuel them somehow. It could even open the door to trade routes, pillaging trade routes, occupying bases, (and recieving a portion of their minerals produced until they can destroy your base ship?)

*The same thing could be achieved I suppose by modifying deathstars (since they ARE the size of a small moon) to hold massive fleets and reserves of deut.
The ship could be fitted with a jumpdrive (possibly even allowing fleets ((your own AND your alliance members? ;) )) to use it as a point to jump to using other jumpgates?) to allow it to deploy anywhere withing it's range (at least a galaxy or two away, if not any galaxy?) instantly and with no fuel usage. :twisted:
Possibly even with a limit to how often you can jump?
Longer cooldown period than a normal jumpgate?

Remember that we can only utilize the tools you give us to use. If you give us hammers you will see lots of blunt force trauma. :twisted: But if you give us a whole box full of tools to use, you will see things you never imagined yourself, suddenly possible...

May the flames begin! :lol:
Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?
(hopefully constructive)

v1nc3nt

Re: New class of ship? The Baseship

Post by v1nc3nt »

its a good ideia, but i think the administrator wont use it because it will require some massive code reprogramming, and that would cause the game to go offline for some time. but its a great ideia thought.

Curious_1

Post by Curious_1 »

Oh it would definitely require some massive code reprogramming, take time, cost money, etc.
But there's no real reason why any of that would cause the game to go offline for some time.

All the code could be written, tested, fixed, re-tested, etc. on an offline node.
The update could then be rolled out to the live server.
That is how updates to games are normally done. Don't go offline for new content to be developed, they go offline for very short ammounts of time for the code to be updated AFTER it was written, tested, fixed, re-tested, etc. on an offline node.

This will all take time and money as I said which is why I also made this suggestion in another thread:
(For context it was about the loss of revenue from lost rubie sales if they implimented player to player trade routes, but the same points stand if money is a problem for the development of the game.)
Curious_1 wrote:A different buisiness model could be used as well. Other games use advertising banners on their websites just as one example. (which would probably make them more money than selling rubies anyway)

They could also replace resource trading on the rubie list with something else, maybe even something better, or offer a better rate of trade when rubies and npc traders are used, compared to when you're trading player to player. They could even stop rewarding the top players with RL money, I'm sure you would have one or two people complain about it but I'm also sure I'm not the only one who isn't here playing to try to win money. I'm sure there are alot of us who are here because the game is actually cool and would still be playing long after they got rid of cash prizes.

I can't speak for anyone else but I would rather they keep that money, find multiple, new, better ways to make money through the game, (i.e. better things to buy with rubies? or a free/upgraded account service where maybe you are allowed to own more bases or something? just random examples ) And use all that revenue to add more features to the game so it can grow and become something even greater than it is now.

To hold back on the growth of something that could potentially become much greater, instead of adapting a business model to work around a growing and changing game, would be shooting yourself in the foot financially, and creatively.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, and if you can skin a cat and still have everyone smiling afterwards all the better. :lol:

As I stated in that thread:
"To hold back on the growth of something that could potentially become much greater, instead of adapting a business model to work around a growing and changing game, would be shooting yourself in the foot financially, and creatively"

They could leave the game exactly as it is forever, but that would also be shooting themselves in the foot.
New game content isn't the issue, there WILL be more to this game unless they're crazy. jk

Also want to say thank you for supporting the idea. :D
Last edited by Cheshire Cat on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Direct mention of other games

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Interesting thought, like the idea, might make it too easy to hide fleets though... catchin someone elses main fleet is already difficult without alot of... phlanxes... phlanxeez? phlanxsisis? phlanxness? phlanx's? SENSORZ!!!
,,,^o.o^,,,

Curious_1

Post by Curious_1 »

Good point.
But if we're talking about a massive, mobile, refuelable, fleet carrying, hyperspace jumping, mobile jumpgate, death-machine from hell...
And especially if it will be a revamp of the deathstar and not a whole new ship, what the heck let's turn it into a full blown mobile moon the way a deathstar should be anyway and slap
Cheshire Cat wrote:SENSORZ!!!
on it. ;)

Coupled with a long enough cooldown on it's ability to jump itself to another location, and maybe even a new way to locate them like a secondary moon slot on galaxy view for these, you could not only find their fleet but if you had your own baseship that wasn't waiting for jumpdrive cooldown you could jump right into the slot next to him.
Considering that you could potentially have intel on his fleet leaving for a strike if he's about to attack your alliance members moon, you could now time your jump and attack his baseship after his fleet had left it alone to go attack... :twisted:

shaddam_v

Post by shaddam_v »

i like this idea. i hate to send out a fleet from a base to an enemy base and not be able to send it to a nearby planet to wait and see whats all happening. why send it to the enemy directly, if you can deploy it somewhere closeby and take him by suprise in a matter of minutes instead of flying hours. *without jg ofcourse lol*

unit43

Post by unit43 »

Because thats cheap and everyone but SBT would get owned

shaddam_v

Post by shaddam_v »

im just saying, it would be more realistic if you could give ships an option of just flying over to a planet where tehy can be stationed, instead of sending your fleets directly to an enemy base. that way an enemy force also needs to perform more effort of finding your fleet, if he ever thinks about destroying it.

divkeays

Post by divkeays »

why does everyone want to change this game ?
the game is fine as it is it doesn't need new things added or anything taken away
if you don't like the game then don't play it but whiule your here don't moan about how it'd be better if another ships was added the ships now are fine having more would complicate it

Curious_1

Post by Curious_1 »

because that's the normal growth of a game?

It IS a good game, and CAN be left exactly the way it is, forever.
But it WILL necro over time if it doesn't grow and/change over time.

We're bad for proposing new ideas that could potentially help the game?
In a forum that has "including game suggestions" in it's description?
For volunteering new ideas that a dev team would get wet over?

I shall go inflict self-imposed torture upon myself and contemplate my horrible actions, please excuse me and accept my deepest apologies. :roll: